Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Pulled Chicken Sandwich

This is a super simple dinner to make.  You cook the chicken in a slow cooker for three hours and then do some minor assembly work.  The original recipe called for a half cup of vinegar but I found this to overpower the dish so in this version I've left it out.  If you like vinegar and want to counter balance the sweetness of the coleslaw by all means add it to the crock pot along with the BBQ sauce.  Since hubby doesn't like coleslaw I left it off his but he said that some pepperjack cheese would be a nice addition.  This can be served with green salad and french fries.


Ingredients
serves 4

1-2lbs bone in chicken thighs (4 pieces)
1/4c frozen onion diced
1 1/4c favorite BBQ sauce (I like Annie's original with sweet & spicy being my second favorite)
1t -1T hot sauce (optional:I left this out)
medium sized deli container of coleslaw (try to find stuff without HFCS)
Favorite GF hamburger buns

  1. Strip skin off chicken and cut away extra fat.
  2. Spray no stick in slow cooker and put onion in first and then layer chicken on top.
  3. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
  4. Mix BBQ sauce with hot sauce and pour over chicken.
  5. Cook on high for three hours. 
  6. Remove chicken pieces from sauce strip from bone and return to pot.
  7. I get my GF buns frozen so this is the point where I defrost them in the microwave.
  8. Put chicken on bun, add coleslaw on top.
  9. Enjoy!
Options:
  1. Top with pepperjack cheese instead of slaw
  2. Make with pork instead of chicken

No comments:

Post a Comment