Saturday, May 7, 2011

Almond Oatmeal

About 30 years ago I was reading a science fiction novel where the main characters ate a nut porridge for their main meal and this gave me the idea for an oatmeal modification that I use to this day.  My normal recipe involves using milk instead of water as the cooking liquid and adding vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon to it along with nuts, seeds and raisins.  Over the years I've used walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, sesame seeds or whatever I happen to have in the cupboard at the time.  I love this porridge and it has become a family favorite.

Now that I'm on The Diet From Hell I've had to modify my beloved oatmeal recipe.  After a few iterations I've come up with a yummy substitute, Almond Oatmeal.  The only bummer about this recipe is that you really need to stand and stir this so it won't stick and I have huge problems standing in one spot as many CFSers do.  Feel free to drag a stool over to the stove to sit while stirring.

A few notes regarding the recipe.  This is based on Bob's Red Mill oats.  Alter the liquid amount and cooking time to the oats you are using.  The amount of both the vanilla and butter can be tinkered with to your preference.  I love both so I tend to add a lot of each to the oatmeal.  The butter not only adds a huge amount of flavor to this but also adds good fat and nut protein to the meal.  This helps balance out blood sugar, helps with mouth feel and taste of the dish and keeps you feeling full a bit longer.  If you leave off the jam this is a low glycemic index dish.

Ingredients
serves 1

1/2 GF rolled oatmeal
1c unsweetened almond milk
1/4t vanilla powder (might have to order on line as it is hard to find)
1-2T plain almond butter
1-2T fruit only spread (optional: my fav is strawberry)
pinch sea salt

  1. Bring milk and salt to boil.
  2. Add vanilla, oats and almond butter.  Stir thoroughly to fully incorporate the butter.
  3. Reduce heat to simmer.
  4. Stir and cook 10 mins.  Stiring doesn't have to be continuous but the more often the better.
  5. Serve topped with jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment