Raw milk dairy can be hard to come by but Kerrygold cheese is 100% grass fed and readily available in regular markets (at least where I live). I find it has a very strong flavor which is perfect for this soup. Broccoli has a strong flavor so if you want to taste the cheese you have to use a strong one to get over the top of the broccoli.
Cultured butter this is my new fav. Organic Valley's version recently appeared in my local Whole Foods. Thing is if you add this to the hot soup you kill the cultures in the butter. Best to wait until it has cooled down to add this so you have the hit of probiotics in your soup. Of course I have to sneak the butter in to hubs' soup so sometimes it gets added to the hot soup.
1 bunch organic broccoli
1c Chicken Stock
1c filtered water
2c shredded very strong cheddar (preferably raw milk)
2T cultured pastured butter
a good dollop of pastured heavy cream (raw if you can get it)
fresh ground pepper
- Chop the heads of the broccoli and make them bite sized. Throw them in a 2qt pan. Peel the course skin off the stems and chop into bite sized pieces. (I'll save the stalks from regular meals to add to the soup.) Keep adding broccoli until the pan is almost completely full or you run out of broccoli.
- Add a pinch of sea salt and a couple of grinds of pepper.
- Add broth and water. Don't worry, it shouldn't cover the broccoli.
- Cover and simmer until broccoli is very soft. Remove from heat.
- Use an immersion blender and thoroughly puree the broccoli. Be very careful because the soup is very hot and will burn you.
- Stir in grated cheese until melted.
- Either add cream and butter at this point or wait until it has cooled a bit first.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
EDIT: I figured it out. Use beef stock instead of chicken stock!! It tastes even better! And it is hubs approved!