Baked Eggs #2
serves one or two
2-4 asparagus spears
1 leek leaf washed and dried
4-6 criminis (baby bella mushrooms)
1-2 kale leaves washed and dried
- Break off course ends of asparagus. Just grab and snap the end off. It will break in the right place on its own. Finely slice asparagus on the diagonal. Discard the ends.
- Peel and cut criminis into small bite size pieces.
- Trim kale leaf off stem, discard stem, slice or tear into small bite size pieces.
- Slice leek into 1/4" strips.
- Saute vegetables in butter. Set aside when everything is cooked through and mushrooms are starting to release liquid.
1T heavy cream
2 pastured eggs
vegetable saute from above
2T Parmesan cheese
2 strips of bacon (optional)
pinches of dried herbs: marjoram, dill, basil, parsley, thyme, rosemary (in any combo)
sea salt if not using bacon
- Place single serving au gratin dish in cold oven and preheat to 350F.
- If using, cook bacon and crumble it and set it aside.
- Mix cheese, herbs, salt and pepper together and set aside.
- Once oven and dish are hot, very carefully remove dish and put on heatproof surface.
- Melt butter in dish and swirl so it coats the bottom.
- Add cream to dish.
- Place sauteed vegetables down center of dish along the short axis. This will divide the dish in half.
- Crack an egg into each side of dish being careful not to break the yolk. If you're not brave enough to do this, you can crack the egg into a cup and then pour it into the hot dish.
- Sprinkle bacon on top.
- Sprinkle cheese mixture on top.
- Bake at 350F for 10-15mins until eggs are set the way you like. If you want runny yolks undercook the eggs since they will continue to cook once they come out of the oven.