Makes enough sauce to cover gnocchi for 3 servings
1-2T olive oil
2-3 shallots or 1/2 a small yellow onion chopped fine
1c coarsely sliced crimini mushrooms (baby portabellos)
~1/2 lb of sweet Italian sausage meat sans casing (I had one large link left over from Baked Ravioli)
generous pinch salt
generous pinch pepper
1/2c white wine (Pinot Grigio according to chef but I use white cooking wine from the supermarket)
1c half and half
3/4 Gruyere cheese coarsely grated (chef used 3 fat tablespoons of Gorgonzola)
1/2 Parmesan cheese coarsely grated
3 large leaves of fresh sage coarsely chopped
- Saute onion and mushrooms in oil until soft
- Add sausage meat. Break up into small pieces while cooking. Saute until brown.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Add wine. Deglaze pan. Boil wine off.
- Add half and half, cheeses and sage. Boil until thickened.
- Add pasta to heat through.
- Serve with extra Parmesan sprinkled on top.